Thursday, June 05, 2008

My Advice For Online College Classes

I have completed one year of online classes with Baker College. During this time there have been some good things and there have been some troubles. I have learned a lot, maybe some educational things but also a lot about taking classes online. I will share some of this with you. It may be helpful to you if you are considering taking college classes online.

I would recommend using a laptop, the mobility might prove useful. More specifically you need a steady source of electricity. This might not be an issue for you, but even in the United States there are places where the power gets knocked out, sometimes for a couple days at a time. Even if this only happens once a year, you can't afford to miss a couple of days of school. So if you loss power due to a ice or thunder storm (or like me, you loss it for a whole day for no apparent reason at all) then you are going to want a generator, or some other way to power your computer.

Furthermore it's a good idea to have a computer specifically for doing school. I have used my laptop as my regular computer for a while. However I wouldn't recommend doing this, I would recommend buying a laptop and using it exclusively for school, don't be downloading and using this computer for other reasons. I know that this can get expensive, but you can buy a new laptop for less than $1000. And if you have another computer you can backup files on this one.

A lot of people are more open when using the internet. There are a lot of people that are afraid to speak up in a regular class room, but are willing to speak up when online. So if you are nervous about speaking up in a public setting. Than taking classes online might be just the thing for you.

Fact of the matter is that online classes are good for people with hectic schedules, but that doesn't mean that it isn't real or that you don't have to spend time doing it. Basically online classes are good for someone that wants to take classes during odd times of the day. At least where I have taken online classes, it's not that these classes don't take time. So you are going to have to spend time taking classes. And these are not correspondence classes; you can't just submit your work when it's done. You have a specific due date and in a lot of cases these online instructors can be much more strict about due dates than teachers in regular classrooms.

I have more advice on this topic at my website http://www.college-online.co.nr

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is is great information – its encouraging to see online education is becoming more widely accepted and the benefits are backed up by a range of studies. I'll surely share this!

online colleges